Monday, March 26, 2007

Look out Roger Federer


Despite my insistence that this not become a "kids say the darndest things" blog, I would be remiss in not sharing Theology, according to Quinn and Colin. This story should be framed by reminding readers that Colin David Ballbach doesn't take things at face value. His older brother is much more willing to accept what he hears. When Quinn hears something in Sunday School he goes with it. I heard it from a reputable source so it must be true. Colin, on the other hand, needs more info. -- "but, WHERE is Jesus?" Up in the sky, in heaven, all around, none of them suffice. "No, WHERE exactly is He?"

So, when going to bed recently after saying prayers, Colin starts in again -- "but WHERE is Jesus, what does He do?" Perhaps we were tired, perhaps we just wanted to get downstairs and watch 4 Jon Stewarts awaiting on Tivo, I'm not sure exactly, but neither Kate nor I answered right away. In jumps older brother Quinn to fill the void.

"It's like He's all around, Colin -- he's all around you and everyone."

"No, but WHERE is Jesus"

Uh oh. Starting to go down a familiar path, 8:45, wouldn't be the first time he egged his older brother on, tired parents jump in, "OK guys time for bed. Talk more in the morning."

Older brother adds one final commentary -- "it's like there are lots of little Jesus' on your head, Colin and Jesus is the best at everything ever, the best basketball player, the best baseball player, the best football player..."

Parents thinking and glancing at each other -- "this could be interesting, let's see where this goes..."

Quinn, continues ... "the best at math, the best at Chess..."

And, then, the light bulb goes off with Colin, emphatically jumping in, "Yeah, it's like He's on my head and the best in the whole world at Tennis!!"

That's right, for 4 year old Colin to finally start to grasp who Jesus was he needed to understand that Jesus was right on top of his head and was very very good at Tennis. (Editors note: my son is crazy about sports -- baseball, basketball, football -- and probably watches too much of them, but has 1) never played tennis 2) never watched tennis 3) I don't believe ever said the word, tennis.

But that did it. He started to get a glimpse of the strange idea of an all powerful God by the proximity to his hair and a fuzzy yellow ball. I think we straightened out the lots of "little tiny Jesus'" part with a quick discussion of the trinity -- at least Quinn got it. I wish I could recall even more of the theological discussion that followed, but the light bulb moment was clear. We haven't heard the "where" question since and I'm certain Colin will be glued to Wimbledon in June hoping to catch a glimpse...

1 comment:

Karen Santangelo said...

Brett - your blogg reminds me when my 4 year old daughter wanted to know what God did all day up in those clouds and how He got His clothes. She first offered to share her clothes with Him, but thought better of it and said "I don't know how long He'll be up in those clouds, so I'll give Him some of Lilly's (her little sister) clothes." Always thinking ahead. PS - we worked together on 3 Point Ball and Steph forwarded me your blogg. My husband is a stay-at-Home dad of our two girls...